Author Topic: My new old organ project  (Read 2837 times)

Offline timbarnes

  • Neuling
  • *
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: My new old organ project
« Reply #15 on: 25. October 2016, 08:06:50 »
Well...now I have two Arduino Leonardos - one for a manual and one for the stop tabs. MIDI Monitor shows that both are happily generating messages, on different channels. MIDI Monitor can see both Arduinos (both are listed in the source selection), but GO only seems to see a single Leonardo, and is not accepting messages from the new one.

If I disconnect either one, the other registers with GO properly, so I don't think it's an issue with the Arduino programming or hardware. I had hoped GO would "blend" them into one source, using the different channels to distinguish between the message and thus allow both.

Any thoughts about how to go about this?

Thanks,
tim

Offline martin

  • Jr. Mitglied
  • **
  • Posts: 84
    • View Profile
    • GrandOrgue

Offline timbarnes

  • Neuling
  • *
  • Posts: 10
    • View Profile
Re: My new old organ project
« Reply #17 on: 28. October 2016, 19:17:21 »
Thanks, Martin. I find that Hauptwerk can distinguish between identical USB devices on Mac - is there a chance that GrandOrgue will get an update to support this on Mac?

I built GO myself last night, and did successfully create a package which runs, but it seems to have problems. Sometimes it crashes on startup, and it complains that Jack is not running (which the pre-built versions don't).

I am frankly well out of date in terms of programming skills, so while I was able to get the package built, I'm probably not up to debugging it.

Offline martin

  • Jr. Mitglied
  • **
  • Posts: 84
    • View Profile
    • GrandOrgue
Re: My new old organ project
« Reply #18 on: 28. October 2016, 22:11:15 »
You can study the official GO builds: https://travis-ci.org/e9925248/grandorgue [Master branch].

OS X is the platform with the worst GO support. If you are able to capture a OS X crash report of GO, I can look at it.
I currently don't have any plan to work on the OS X device name topic.

You want to make the return values of MidiInCore :: getPortName and MidiOutCore :: getPortName (RtMidi.cpp) unique for both devices, while they their mapping to the hardware interface should stay stable.


Offline martin

  • Jr. Mitglied
  • **
  • Posts: 84
    • View Profile
    • GrandOrgue
Re: My new old organ project
« Reply #19 on: 20. November 2016, 12:49:22 »
The only issue I recently had was the need to fallback to an older version of Grand Orgue because the newer one created intermittent clipping of the sustained sounds. I use 3.1.2084 version now with no clipping glitches.
Clipping is triggered by overcommting your computers resources. Old GO versions just finish the full caluclations, regardless if that means, that it will finish too late and there can be audio dropouts [very short load spikes can be hidden by multiple audio buffers, which increase latency].
Newer GO versions start reducing their load, if there is not enough time. Either background activity steals CPU time or the polyphonie is too high.

Offline martin

  • Jr. Mitglied
  • **
  • Posts: 84
    • View Profile
    • GrandOrgue
Re: My new old organ project
« Reply #20 on: 20. November 2016, 13:19:12 »
Quote
I currently run four organs at the same time using a computer with Quad-Core
If you run multiple GO instances concurrently on one computer, the default settings will overcommit, because the GO defaults are intended for running only one GO instance. Reduce concurrency and polyphony in all GO instances.